Thursday, July 15, 2010

2010: Up To This Point [Songs]

We've reached summer and we're well into 2010's second half.  After the jump, take a look at some cuts I've dug deep this year.



Admiral Radley “I Heart California”
It's great to hear that Jason Lytle's post-Grandaddy song writing can continue to be catchy (sonically) and weird (lyrically)- here he teams up with members of Earlimart and ex-Grandaddy drummer Aaron Burtch.

















Arcade Fire “The Suburbs”
The first single off of the to be released The Suburbs record featuring a prominent driving piano line and touching, contemplative lyrics.
















Black Francis “Cinema Star”
Nonstoperotik's album closer - this is a vintage Frank Black rocker.


















CEO “Illuminata”
Here we have a catchy, Fischerspooner-esque (vocally) track off CEO's White Magic.
















Richard Hawley “There’s A Storm A Comin’”
Off the recent False Lights From The Land EP, here is an emotional crooner from one of the best going in the crooning industry.

















Tim Hecker “Apondalifa”
Tim Hecker is an experimental guitar music composer who uses a wide array of sound plug-ins (not unlike Fennesz) to transform the vibrations of his guitar strings to sound like something else altogether.  “Apondalifa” is an interesting listen and I'm hoping he continues exploring the sounds featured here.



















The Jameses “The Haunted Rider”
This is the first I've heard from The Jameses- this one is a super catchy garage guitar number with a touch of 60's mod inspired organ - looking forward to their upcoming full length on Captured Tracks.


















Jeff the Brotherhood “Mellow Out”
I'm a bit blown away by the lack of attention these bros get.  Like most of Jeff's work, "Mellow Out" is a catchy lighthearted rocker with lyrics about mundane everyday life.  Choice line:  "I keep my records on a shelf, because I care about my health."  Indeed.















 The Morning Benders “Excuses”
 ...an emotive and classic sounding single from this promising Berkeley band.


















Wild Nothing “Chinatown”
Every time I hear this track, I think about Cyndi Lauper and The Goonies...just sayin.'  This is easily one of my favorite songs of 2010.

No comments:

Post a Comment